Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Technology-Infused Classroom



     Depending on a school budget, a technology-infused classroom could look many ways. In my opinion, the bare minimum would be a teacher computer, at least one student computer, and some type of interactive whiteboard. This would allow the teacher to create and plan using technology, the students to have some access to technology, and both teacher and students to interact together.


     While those three pieces of technology are what I would consider the bare minimum, the other end of the spectrum really has no limits. There are so many technology applications today that I personally do not know about. If the 3 teachers and 2 administrators in my building put our heads together, I bet we could only come up with a tiny fraction of all the technology applications available. And that does not include technology in the future.
    
     Here's what I envision for my technology-infused classroom:
     Students walk into the classroom and sign-in at one of two interactive whiteboards, one in the front and one in the back. This keeps track of my attendance so that I can get started right away. Each student has a tablet or other personal device. They use their tablet to scan a QR code which gives them the daily warm-up. Once completed, students either email or submit to a dropbox. I can start the lesson with some sort of hook: a video, an essential question, a cartoon, etc. This is shown on both interactive whiteboards.
     We begin with notes which are shown on the whiteboards as well as uploaded to each student tablet. Students use a stylus, their finger, or a keyboard to write on these notes. I ask questions throughout the lesson and students can answer by showing their tablets or clicking in a pop-up box that allows the answers to be shown anonymously on the whiteboards.
     At some point in the lesson, students split into groups to complete practice problems. An app that they are working on gives custom feedback. I would also walk about the classroom asking questions, giving feedback, and checking for understanding. As students complete this, they are also able to check in with me via a pop-up that lets me know who gets it, who needs a little more help, who needs a lot more help, and who is completely lost.
     The day's assignment as well as additional links to more information are uploaded to student tablets. Students have time to work on their assignment in class, but also have the materials to review at home. As students complete the assignments, I am notified. Learning analysis also lets me know what specific concepts I may need to review the next day.
     Even as I describe this, I know that there is so much out there that I cannot even imagine and so many more things that could be incorporated. However, this plan is something that I think is actually achievable and realistic. I did find several YouTube videos that show some really cool futuristic classroom technology. The video below is of several classrooms that I would give just about anything to have if only budgets were not an issue. . .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment